Re: More Ideas around DOM Constructors

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 02:28:39 -0500
To: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>
CC: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
Hi, -

Jeff Schiller wrote (on 11/25/09 2:03 PM):
> Is there a proposal on how to handle attributes in different
> namespaces with DOM Constructors?  If we specify a property bag is it
> ok to just do:
>
> { fill: "red", "xlink:href", "foo.html" } ?
>
> As long as xlink: lines up with a declared namespace prefix?

My approach was similar, but didn't rely on a QName-syle approach
because of some brittleness there.  Here's how I did it [1]:

  root.createElement( "use", { href:[ xlinkns, "#my_circle" ], x:30,
y:"-30" } );

> Or perhaps the reliance on the XLink namespace is going away ?

I would like to move away from the use of the XLink NS, since the
promise of the XLink spec never really materialized.  There are
complications, but I think we can do it.

I don't think the idea of namespaced attributes is going to go away, so
a good generic API will have to handle them.

[1] http://schepers.cc/w3c/svg/api/cog.svg

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs