Re: More Ideas around DOM Constructors

From: G. Wade Johnson <gwadej@anomaly.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:13:44 -0600
To: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:17:28 -0600
Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Extend createElement(), createElementNS() with a new argument.
> This new argument should be a name-value map of attributes.  In JS
> this would look like:
> createElement("circle", {cx: 40, cy:40, r:20, fill:"red"})
> As before, this returns the element, which you could then
> appendChild/insertBefore, etc.

I really like this idea. To me, this feels more like a single event to
create an element. When I do

   createElement( "circle" )
I feel like I've got a "not quite an object". It's not really created
until I make a bunch of set calls.

This has caused problems in every codebase I've ever worked on in other

Having the createElement completely fill out the attributes seems more
"intuitive" to me. I have used (and built) this kind of interface in
the past and it seems nicer.

One odd side-effect is that I often find I save a set of attributes in
a variable and reuse them.

G. Wade
Results are what you wanted, consequences are what you got.
                                                 -- Michael VanDusen