Re: Minutes, 12 November 2009 SVG WG telcon

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:21:38 -0500
To: www-svg@w3.org
CC: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com>
Hi, Alexandre-

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote (on 11/13/09 4:38 AM):
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Anthony Grasso wrote:
>
>>     DS: If I felt that everyone was along for the ride
>>     ... then I'd say let's go with SVG 2.0 and not worry about the past
>
> 1.2 = 2.0?

No, SVG Full 1.2 is no longer under development.  The implementation
climate has changed, and some of the features defined for SVG 1.2 (both
Full and Tiny) are not as relevant now as they were at that time.

The SVG WG is taking the best features from SVG 1.2, and new
implementation experience and use cases, and developing SVG 2.0 with the
active participation of browser vendors and collaboration with the CSS,
WebApps, XSL-FO, and HTML WGs (among others, such as the
Internationalization and Accessibility activities).

We are developing SVG 2.0 as a series of modules that can be used to
incrementally expand earlier SVG specifications, or implemented as a
comprehensive specification.

You can read more about it here:
  http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/Roadmap

(I just noticed that the timelines there are horribly out of date... we
will discuss that and correct it after our next telcon.)

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs