Re: Changing attributeType="CSS"

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 12:45:18 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org
Erik Dahlstrom:
> How about making the 'height' attribute a presentation attribute for
> SVG.next? I think it's possible to stay backwards compatible while adding
> the option of specifying the width/height through CSS.
>
> Cheers
> /Erik

Because width and height are not essential, but more a decorative question
for an element in XHTML for example, it is a pretty good choice to
have this as property.
But for a rect element in SVG, width and height are the essential information
about what kind of rectangle we have, this is not decoration or styling or
presentation. Therefore I think, they should not be presentation attributes
or properties like fill. It would be similar to say the d attribute of path
should be only styling and decoration and the essential information is only,
that we have a path - not important, what kind of path ;o)
Of course, once started one has to continue the game: r of circle? rx, ry of
ellipse or rect? points of polyline and polygon? x1,x2,y1,y2 of a line? -
essential information or only presentation? ;o)

Olaf