Re: SVG in text/html

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 00:22:11 +0000 (UTC)
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Dana Lee Ling <dleeling@comfsm.fm>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> I agree with you and Jeff that unknown elements placed in the SVG
> namespace should implement SVGElement.

Is this defined in SVG anywhere? What interfaces is the node X expected to
implement when a script runs this?:

  var X = document.createElementNS('http://www.w3.org/2000/svg', 'xXxXx');

> One of the arguments given for having an explicit table of case mappings
> in the HTML spec was that implementors would rather have that
> information in a single place, instead of needing to hunt through the
> SVG spec for each element and attribute that is defined.  Wouldn’t a
> corollary of that be that the interfaces the DOM object must implement
> be listed too?

In practice no, because user agents use the same mechanism for creating
nodes in the parser as they do for creating nodes from scripts using the
document.createElementNS() API. (You'll notice there's no list for HTML
elements either.) Thus this ends up being done as part of implementing the
vocabulary itself, rather than as part of the syntax parsing.