Re: SVG in text/html

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 05:47:05 -0400
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: Dana Lee Ling <dleeling@comfsm.fm>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2009, at 05:58, Dana Lee Ling wrote:
>
>> Please do not forget those of us who choose to hand author XHTML +
>> SVG. We exist.
>
> The SVG in text/html stuff involves no syntactic changes to SVG in
> application/xhtml+xml.

Silverlight is an example of a vocabulary that is truly draconian.  Not
just at the syntax level, but at the DOM level.  Add a single element
that is not recognized, and none of the image is drawn.  Not one bit.

By contrast, every SVG rendering engine I've come across will render
what it can from the DOM it is presented.

As someone who routinely hand authors XHTML + SVG (and have done so for
years), it disappoints me that this discussion so far has focused on the
easily correctable issues.  Ones that can be corrected in seconds by the
use of the following web service:

http://services.philip.html5.org/html-to-xhtml/

- Sam Ruby