Re: View Source

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:36:09 +0100
"Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:32:18 +0100, G. Wade Johnson
> <gwadej@anomaly.org> wrote:
> > So, again, if SVG is currently defined as XML, why would a current
> > tool read something that is not well-formed XML.
>
> A current tool wouldn't, but a patched current tool would. And it
> would do that because it's relatively cheap to support and allows
> authors to import SVG embedded in HTML.
>

> > I'm sorry if this comes off as confrontational. But, I've spent a
> > lot of time cleaning up crap that was supposed to be XML (and HTML)
> > that was passed off with the comment "Why not just change your
> > parser?"
>
> A fair comment, I'd say :-)

No more fair than it would be to say the we could "fix" all of the HTML
tag-soup problems by just "changing the parser" in every browser out
there.

I'm not really a standards person, although I've spent time helping
people produce and consume standards-based content. I'm just an average
programmer who develops with this stuff.

I understand the original argument for why HTML parsing is the way it
is. I've also spent a bit of time with SVG as it currently is. I would
prefer not to go back to the days of people generating extreme examples
of non-well-formed pseudo-XML and then complaining loudly for people to
fix all of the tools that don't read their stuff.

As such, I might be coming across as more belligerent than I mean to.

I have found SVG to be a very useful format for generating graphics
from code. I would dearly like to see more adoption of this standard.

My question is whether flippantly suggesting that tool makers "change
their infrastructure" is good for either HTML or SVG.

G. Wade
--
If there's no problem, there's no solution.         -- Rick Hoselton