Re: SVG Feedback on HTML5 SVG Proposal

On Mar 17, 2009, at 9:08 AM, T.V Raman wrote:

> Correct.
>
> I believe in its final incarnation, the HTML5 work needs to
> define the following:
>
> A) The collection of algorithmic hacks that it takes to go from
> the garbage found on the legacy Web to a meaningful DOM.

HTML5 does define this, as part of the parsing algorithm.

> B) Define *everything* else -- in terms of that canonical DOM,
> including clean serialization.

HTML5 does this as well - once the parsing algorithm has produced a
DOM, everything else is defined in term of the DOM.

Note however that it does not prevent the DOM from having validity
errors. Both the parser and DOM APIs can produce DOMs that violate
content model requirements. But the DOM abstracts out lower-level
syntax errors or syntax quirks.

I think defining the parsing rules and serialization rules are
properly in scope. What is not in scope is mandating when and how the
browser UI should expose these things.

Regards,
Maciej