Re: View Source

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:45:52 +0100
To: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org, public-html@w3.org
Jeff Schiller wrote:
> To clarify at least what I am talking about:  I'm not talking about
> 'correcting' the source or trying to guess what the developer
> intended.  I'm talking about showing the serialization of the DOM as
> the browser interprets it.

No, a browser doesn't need to have such a feature.  It is a nice thing
to have, and Firefox does have a View Selection Source feature that does
that.  But the actual presence of the feature is not required in all
browsers.

> I would argue that this IS required for
> interoperability in the case of HTMLized SVG in text/html:

No, what is required for interoperability is that the way the DOM is
serialised is defined, and the spec already does that in the sections
defining innerHTML.

> Interoperability with tools like Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape that
> expect XML.

Are you asking for the spec to more thoroughly define how to serialise a
given DOM in a way that guarantees well-formedness, even in such cases
where that can't be done losslessly?  There are some DOMs that can be
produced by text/html which simply cannot be represented in well-formed
XML documents, so such things would need to be modified in some way.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/