Re: View Source (was: SVG Feedback on HTML5 SVG Proposal)

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:39:43 -0500
To: www-svg@w3.org, public-html@w3.org
On Monday 2009-03-16 20:31 -0400, Doug Schepers wrote:
> T.V Raman wrote (on 3/16/09 12:58 PM):
>> And this is why in gneral, it would be a good idea for
>> show-source to perhaps show a cleaned-up serialization, rather
>> than the original tag-soup that was authored.
> I think everyone is on board with this idea, not just for SVG and
> MathML, but even for HTML... if someone out there has a good rationale
> against it, I'd be curious to know what that is.

Showing cleaned up source breaks the idea of doing view-source to
figure out why a page is misbehaving, which is important when
diagnosing browser bugs or diagnosing cases where a page depends on
browser-specific behavior.

Showing the original source rather than the cleaned-up source in
such cases also gives you a better chance to figure out what the
author was intending to do, which is important to understand if
you're going to email them advice about how to fix their page.