Re: Script in SVG vs. HTML (was: Input on the agenda)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 01:22:41 +0000 (UTC)
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> > How about being able to right click on an SVG fragment in a text/html
> > document (or even an XHTML document) and choosing “Save image as…” to
> > save it out as XML?
>
> That sounds like a good idea.

HTML5 already suggests this. (It's visible in the MathML section; it's
also recommended for SVG in the commented-out SVG bit.)

> > The commented-out proposal in HTML 5 at the moment does handle CDATA
> > sections explicitly, and turns them into Text nodes in the DOM.  This
> > handling works for CDATA sections appearing anywhere in foreign
> > content. I think this is useful, and not problematic.
> >
> > I agree about the consistency: I wonder if there would be any problems
> > in allowing CDATA sections in HTML content?
>
> I haven't looked at how the commented out proposal currently handles SVG
> <script> elements. However I do think they should be handled as similar
> as possible, ideally identical.
>
> I would really like to explore allowing <![CDATA[]]> in HTML. Not sure
> if we could allow it inside <script>s though, but it's something to look
> into.

My understanding is that Opera tried this and found it problematic.
(There's a lot of content out there that says <![CDATA[ ... ]]>, and
parsing it in the case of bad content that relies on it being ignored has
a poor failure mode, with either content disappearing or markup appearing
in the rendering.)