Re: SVG <title> (was: SVG Feedback on HTML5 SVG Proposal)

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Doug Schepers wrote:

> The SVG equivalent of <span lang=""> is <tspan xml:lang="">.  We
> considered making the content model of the <title> and <desc> elements
> match that of the <svg:text> element, but also wish to allow X/HTML
> content for document semantics like lists and such.  Up until this
> point, the SVG+X/HTML story was unclear, but with browsers natively
> implementing SVG, we now have an opportunity to sort this out.  (Do note
> that there are SVG-only UAs, so any solution there would have to only
> optionally use HTML.)  Any thoughts or comments along those lines?

One option would be to have SVG say what it does now, and to have the
HTML5 spec explicitly say that the content model of <title> in SVG in
text/html is limited to what HTML5 calls "phrasing content". This
basically excludes what HTML4 calls "block-level elements", and includes
things like <span> and <ruby>.

I don't really have an opinion on exactly what the right solution here is.