Re: Input on the agenda

Hi, Guys-

Maciej Stachowiak wrote (on 3/9/09 7:52 PM):

> On Mar 9, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>
>> Henri is currently working on integrating a HTML5 parser into gecko
>> (and thus Firefox). The current version of that uses the proposal from
>> Hixie. We are definitely eager to get more people using our SVG
>> support and believe that adding support for SVG inside text/html is
>> the most effective way to do that. So I'd echo Maciejs concern about
>> this issue taking too long.
>
> We also think that SVG in text/html will greatly increase the value of
> our SVG support. And we'd like it in WebKit and therefore Safari and
> other WebKit-based browsers. If Firefox goes with Hixie's proposal, we
> would consider following suit.

The SVG WG will be sending in our comments on the SVG-in-text/html
proposal this week, and will be on hand to discuss it at the HTML WG
telcon.  On the whole, we are favorably disposed towards the general
proposal, but have suggestions we would like to see incorporated
regarding some details.

We agree that this has taken longer than it should, but the SVG WG has
rather fewer resources than we would like, and there have been other
pressing matters (not that we don't prioritize SVG-in-text/html... we
have spent quite a lot of our time talking over the implications of
Hixie's proposal).

Since Mozilla has joined, a couple of months ago, Jonathan Watt has been
an active participant, and we look to him to represent Mozilla's
position on this and other topics, and this has helped; Apple has been a
member for a while, but apparently has not been able to find someone to
participate in the telcons or WG mailing list... we realize that it's
always a balance between devoting time to developing standards and
implementing those standards, as well as innovating.

But we hope that our feedback will help solidify the HTML5 specification
with a balance of backwards compatibility and future innovation, and
that this will clear the way for browsers to move forward.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs