Re: Making it possible to use an <svg> root in text/html

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 11:58:22 +0100
Cc: Dana Lee Ling <dleeling@comfsm.fm>, www-archive@w3.org, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
On Mar 9, 2009, at 10:43 , Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2009, at 08:03, Dana Lee Ling wrote:
>> A reason that simply using XHTML will not work?
>
> There's no "simply" in using XHTML. :-) The (X)HTML bits could
> easily come from a system that can't guarantee well-formedness.

Right, I think the overriding concern for allowing <svg> as the root
in text/html is the "make everyone happy" use case. People who want to
use an XML toolset can "simply" use XHTML throughout, and it'll still
just work, but people who don't care, or who for some reason can't
implement it, can still use SVG/HTML. This option would have been more
problematic a bunch of years ago when parsing HTML was a largely
undefined mess, but now that it's being tightly defined and there are
tools to do so, it means that data encoded that way is no longer more
or less lost in final form. We can have our angle brackets and eat
them too.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/