Re: Making it possible to use an <svg> root in text/html

On Mar 4, 2009, at 16:59, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> I don't have an informed opinion yet whether enabling <svg> as root
> in text/html at all is a good idea. But if we do it, I see point in
> making it an error.

Oops. s/see point/see no point/

On Mar 4, 2009, at 21:19, Doug Schepers wrote:

> Maybe we could come back to this after SVG-in-text/html has been
> deployed and used to solve real-world problems, so we can get
> developer and designer feedback about how something like Henri's
> proposal would affect them.

It's not a proposal--at least not at this time. There was IRC
discussion on #whatwg about enabling <svg> as root[1]. This was
sparked by a bullet point on the SVG WG's wiki[2]. I wrote down some
implications from the parser point of view that I pondered immediately
after the discussion[3][4].

I don't have an informed opinion yet on whether enabling <svg> as root
in text/html is a good idea. Forming an informed opinion would require
research about existing content and further discussion on what
slippery slopes there'd be (such as the slippery slope of making <?xml
encoding="..."?> set the encoding in text/html which could easily
break existing content and which would be implementation-wise an
annoying addition to the already too crazy encoding information
situation with text/html).

[1] http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090304#l-310
[2] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/SVG_in_text-html_2009
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009Mar/0006.html