Fwd: XSL-FO SG comments on SVG Referenced Parameter Variables 1.0

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 00:02:41 -0400
From: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] XSL-FO SG comments on SVG Referenced
Parameter Variables 1.0

The XSL-FO (sub-)group looked at
the primer, http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-SVGParamPrimer-20090430/
document, http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGParam/

Comments... since this is an early draft, it'll be fine if you
take these comments into account, but a formal reply is not
necessary.

   Not clear exactly which values can be overridden by params. E.g.
   what about SMIL animation atribute values?

   We definitely prefer param(qname) to the use of a URI for
   the parameters -- e.g. if you can put a URL for a value you
   should be able to put any URI, but not clear how this works
   for different media types.

   We'd like to see more on exactly how the parameters can be
   supplied, e.g. when SVG is embedded in XSL-FO or XHTML.

   Parameters should (like XSLT parameters) allow the default to
   be expressed in element content, so that you can have markup,
   e.g. "logo" might by default be a g element with a circle and
   a square in it...

   Can param() be combined in expressions with other values?
   Can they be referenced from param detaults?

   The primer describes URL parameters, e.g.
   color=cornflowerblue&text-label=fnord
   but needs (1) to allow ; as a CGI separator, and (2) to
   be defined also in the spec itself, not just the primer.

   For XSL-FO, we may want (or need) a more general way of overriding
   things even where the SVG instance doesn't provide for it.
   Example: "use _this_ font for text"

   There was also a suggestion to associate types with parameters,
   to avoid run-time errors, much like XSLT 2.0's "as" attribute.

Overall we think it's a good idea, and may also be helpful to
XSL-FO users.

I hope this helps.

Liam, on behalf od the XSL-FO subgroup

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/