Re: Some thoughts on DOM 2.0, Simpler

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:30:58 +0200
To: "Jeff Schiller" <codedread@gmail.com>
Cc: "Jonathan Watt" <jwatt@jwatt.org>, "Cameron McCormack" <cam@mcc.id.au>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:16:39 +0200, Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since people are already familiar with document.write(), what about
> adding Element.write() which operates the same way as innerHTML but
> for more than just HTMLElements?  Maybe this is confusing as write()
> gives the impression that you're re-writing the entire markup of the
> element and not just its innards (children).

document.write() is about injecting tokens into the tokenizer while the parser is active. That is quite a bit different from innerHTML.

Having said that, I don't see how the Element.write() suggestion is different from markupContent apart from the fact that one is a method and the other an attribute. Still has the same duplication problem in my opinion.

http://ln.hixie.ch/?count=1&start=1091626816

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/