Re: possible errata: SVG 1.1/1.2 tspan Element dx Attribute definition

From: Helder Magalh„es <helder.magalhaes@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:14:47 +0100
To: (wrong string) „‚„‚Š„Œ„®„†„”„–„„„ĺ„—„Ÿ„€‚ <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Cc: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
Hi Jonathan,

(Original message slightly reordered for clarity.)

> In my view whether the character data within the 'tspan' element is null or
> space it should be respected.

I'm not sure if this has to do with the "tspan" element: white space
handling is done at XML level so, if one wants white space to be
handled as-is, 'xml:space="preserve"' should be used in that set of
elements. See the XML specification regarding white space handling [1]
for more information. ;-)

> There is currently a difference in rendering between UAs, and no
> errata found.

I'd say the differences can be implementation issues (i.e., not
respecting the default value for "xml:space", which is not to preserve
white space)...? Could you elaborate a bit on which specific
implementations did you experience the incoherent behavior (mostly for
curiosity, currently)?

Hope this helps,
 Helder

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-white-space