Behaviour of animation DOM methods before document begin

From: Brian Birtles <birtles@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:45:24 +1300
To: www-svg@w3.org
Dear all,

I am glad to see that the behaviour of getCurrentTime()/setCurrentTime()
before document timeline begin has been addressed in an erratum to SVG
1.1.[1]

However, there are several other DOM methods that require similar attention.
In particular the following two:

  SVGSVGElement.animationsPaused()
  SVGAnimationElement.BeginElementAt()

For SVGSVGElement.animationsPaused() can we assume that although animations
are not playing prior to the document timeline begin, they should not be
considered to be paused unless pauseAnimations() is called?

SVG 1.1 says:

  Returns true if this SVG document fragment is in a paused state.[2]

Can we understand "a paused state" as being narrowly defined as "a paused
state brought about by calling pauseAnimations()"? Or does it include the
apparent paused state of an SVG document fragment because the document
timeline has not yet begun?

For SVGAnimationElement.BeginElementAt() what should be the behaviour if
this is called prior to the document timeline begin since this is defined in
terms of presentation time?[3] Shall we use the value of GetCurrentTime
(which will be zero) and add an instance time with an offset from that? Or
should the method fail?

Thank you for any clarification you can offer.

Best regards,

Brian Birtles

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2003/01/REC-SVG11-20030114-errata#getCurrentTime_setCurrentTime_undefined_before_document_timeline_begin