Re: Apparent bug in SVG DTD

From: Peter Murray-Rust <pm286@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 14:53:15 +0000
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
CC: www-svg@w3.org, chris@w3.org

Robin Berjon wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>

> On Jan 2, 2009, at 01:07 , Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

<bug/>

> As you can no doubt infer from the dates and acronyms in those URIs, the
> first DTD is from a draft and woefully out of date at that (in fact the
> second isn't the latest version either, and even if it were the usage of
> DTDs is deprecated for SVG).
>
>> The error is apparently related to the parameter entity describing the
>> namespace for SVG.
>
> I'll further note that this namespace was itself defined as temporary
> and experimental, corresponds to a state of affairs long forgotten by
> most, and more importantly isn't the SVG namespace.
>
>> My current problem is that pstoedit uses this DTD for all its output
>> files and therefore all of them crash.
>
> That is very clearly a bug in pstoedit. I can't speak on behalf of the
> WG but I think that retroactively fixing a draft is probably a bad idea:
> drafts have mistakes, that's why they're drafts. A better fix would be
> to have pstoedit stop including any kind of DTD.

I completely agree and have written to the pstoedit maintainer. I agree
that fixing drafts. Perhaps it is possible to put a flag on the DTD to
say it's out-of-date (I appreciate it's important for historical reasons
to archive it).

I practice I have written a stream filter that strips the prolog from
these incorrect files.

Best

P.