Re: Setting animVal.value?

From: Brian Birtles <birtles@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 09:57:48 +1000
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
2009/8/18 Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>

> Iíve made it more explicit now.  Let me know what you think:
>

> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/publish/types.html#InterfaceSVGAnimatedLength
>
> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/publish/types.html#InterfaceSVGLength

Thanks very much for looking into this Cameron.

So now, under SVGLength.value / NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR, we have:

  Raised when the rectangle corresponds to a read only attribute or when the
object itself is read only.

Firstly, I suspect that should be 'length' instead of 'rectangle'.

But more importantly, I'm not sure that it's correct. We shouldn't throw an
exception on setting SVGAnimatedLength.baseVal.value even though
SVGAnimatedLength.baseVal is a readonly attribute. Yet the text here implies
otherwise (remember that it is describing the behaviour of SVGLength.value
not SVGLength).

I think the text should just be:

  Raised when the object is read only.

Or, in keeping with the wording in SVG 1.1, perhaps:

  Raised on an attempt to change the value of a readonly object.

I think that fits with the text at the top of that section:

  An SVGLength object can be designated as read only, which means that
attempts to modify the object will result in an exception being thrown, as
described below.

(Also, I think we said that setting SVGAnimatedLength.baseVal should
possibly fail silently depending on how readonly attributes in WebIDL are
bound to a particular language.)

Sorry to make such a fuss over this! I hope that's clear.

Best regards,

Brian