Re: [SVGMobile12] text-align incompatible with CSS (ISSUE-2057 ACTION-2200 ACTION-2211)

Hi, fantasai-

fantasai wrote (on 9/17/08 1:41 PM):

> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/text.html#TextAlignProperty
>
> There are two problems with this definition. First
>
>   # Note that SVG does not require user-agents to support the
>   # following values for this property: "justify", "inside",
>   # "outside", <string>, "left", or "right". When an unsupported
>   # value is encountered it must be treated as the property
>   # had not been specified.
>
> It should be normatively allowed for the UA to support the
> other values of text-align. If the UA also supports CSS then
> it's not possible for the values not listed here to be ignored.

We agree with your comment, and have taken out the offending sentence.
We have also clarified that the lacuna value (similar to the default) is
start.

> Second problem is here:
>
>   # The values "start" and "end" are dependent on the writing
>   # system being used.
>   #
>   #   * For left to right horizontal (English, French, etc):
>   #     start=left and end=right
>   #   * For right to left horizontal (Hebrew, Arabic, etc):
>   #     start=right and end=left
>   #   * For top to bottom vertical (vertical Chinese, etc):
>   #     start=up and end=down
>
> "writing system being used" is not a good basis for alignment.
> What about mixed script text? text-align should be dependent
> on SVG's equivalent of the containing block's 'direction'
> property. (Which afaict doesn't exist in SVG Tiny, but more on
> that problem later.)

We believe that this was resolved in another issue:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Oct/0070.html

> Also given "In SVG Tiny 1.2, vertical writing is not supported."
> in http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/text.html#TextLayout that
> last sentence should be removed.

As mentioned in my previous reply, because we do not forbid SVG 1.2 Tiny
UAs to support vertical text, and because we want to keep consistency
with our other specs, we decided not to remove the last bullet point.

But we do agree that it could be confusing for readers (though it's
mentioned in the prefatory material), so we added an explanatory note to
the bullet point:
[[
* For top to bottom vertical (vertical Chinese, etc):
  start is top and end is bottom
  (Note: SVG Tiny 1.2 does not mandate the support
  of vertical text.)
]]

You can see the changes inline here:
  http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/publish/text.html#TextAlignProperty

Please let us know if this changes satisfy your comment.

Regards-
-Doug