Re: [1.2T-LC] Text selection - but what about Find Text ? (ISSUE-2065)

Hi, Jeff-

Jeff Schiller wrote (on 10/9/08 12:20 PM):

> "SVG viewers which allow sequential searches for text strings must pan
> and zoom the viewport, as appropriate, in order to show the text
> string in context, and are recommended to set the viewport to the
> bounding box of the element containing the text string, as if it were
> a traversal to a fragment identifier."
>
> I'm not sure if I agree with the last part of this.  Would it be
> sufficient instead to state:
>
> "and are recommended to adjust the viewport such that the bounding box
> of the element containing the text string is fully within the
> viewport"
>
> Searching through text is often a contextual activity - the user quite
> often wants to see the parts of the document that surround the text
> string being searched for (I suppose the user could zoom out at that
> point, but that seems unnecessary).
>
> In other words, as a user, I would prefer panning but leave the zooming to me.

Yes, I agree with you, and this was part of the point in pointing to the
frag-id behavior [1], which states:

[[
If the element's decorated bounding box is too large to fit within the
current viewport, and the 'zoomAndPan'  attribute of the rootmost 'svg'
element is not set to 'disable', then the viewport shall not only
reposition but also have the current scale expanded to accommodate the
entire width and height of the element's decorated bounding box. By
contrast, if the bounding box of the target element is smaller than the
viewport, the viewport shall remain at the preestablished values (i.e.,
it will not automatically zoom in on the element).
]]

In other words, if the text is too large to fit within the viewport,
zoom out.  Otherwise, just pan.  Note that the text-search behavior
would apply to the bbox of the whole text element, not just the
particular substring; thus, if there were a textual element with a lot
of content, the UA is recommended to zoom out to show the whole
sentence/paragraph/tspan.  That way, the substring would be seen in
(text) context.  If the text bbox is too large, this might mean that the
substring is zoomed out too far to read, in which case the user should
zoom in manually... but this is the point of the tip that authors should
create content accordingly (that is, make it such that searches would
reveal just the right amount of content, such as breaking long passages
up into multiple textAreas).

Does this seem intuitive to you, now that I've gone into more detail?
Should I be more explicit in the spec?

> Otherwise, it looks good to me.

Cool, thanks.

[1]