Re: [1.2T-LC] text-align and text-anchor with direction (ISSUE-2171)

Doug Schepers wrote:

>>> Please let us know right away if this satisfies your comment, or if not,
>>> what changes we can make to do so.
>> A. 'unicode-bidi' should have no effect. Remove that from your sentence.
>
> I was rather suspect about that myself, but it was late when I wrote
> that passage.
>

>> B. This does not make the necessary normative changes to the definitions
>>    of 'start' and 'end' for text-anchor and text-align. 'start' and 'end'
>>    should be defined in terms of 'direction'.
>
> I've changed the definitions of 'text-anchor' [1] and 'text-align' [2]
> as you suggest (indeed, the bit in 'text-anchor' about start=left in
> Arabic was flat-out wrong).
>
> Please let us know posthaste if these changes satisfy your comment.
>
> [1]
> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/publish/text.html#TextAlignmentProperties
> [2] http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/publish/text.html#TextAlignProperty

   # For Latin text, with a 'direction'  property value of "ltr", start
   # is equivalent to the leftmost point. For right-to-left scripts,
   # such as Arabic and Hebrew, with a 'direction'  property value of
   # "rtl", start is equivalent to the rightmost point. For Asian text
   # with a vertical primary text direction, this is comparable to top
   # alignment.

This wording creates a conflict between the 'direction' property and
the contents of the text element.

   s/For Latin text,/For an element/
   s/For right-to-left scripts, such as Arabic and Hebrew,/For an element/
   s/For Asian text/For an element/

It doesn't matter what the contents of the element are. It only matters
what the 'direction' property's value is. I could have
   <text direction="rtl">English Text</text>
and start alignment would be to the right.

Also, is "leftmost point" properly defined? e.g. if my element is
transformed such that it is rotated 180deg, would this paragraph still
make sense?

   # The values start and end are dependent on the writing system being
   # used and the value of the 'direction' property.

Similarly,
   s/the writing system being used and//

~fantasai