Re: Resolving IRIs for resource documents in SVG Tiny 1.2

On May 16, 2008, at 12:11 AM, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> Robert O'Callahan:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/linking.html#externalReferences
>> says:
>>
>>> The rule for SVG is that documents are considered to be unique based
>>> on string comparisons of the full IRI after resolving relative IRIs
>>> into absolute IRIs and after taking into account HTTP redirects
>>> (i.e., use the post-redirect IRI instead of the original source
>>> IRI).
>>>

>> This seems to imply that if I have a document that contains many
>> resource
>> references with the same relative URI, I have to perform an HTTP
>> transaction
>> for each one to see if any of them result in a redirect. Wouldn't
>> it make a
>> lot more sense to use the pre-redirect URI as the dictionary key,
>> so I can
>> avoid a lot of network transactions?
>
> That does make sense, IMO.  I don’t know that there’s any real use
> case
> for using the post-redirect URI as the thing to check against.

I agree with Robert's proposed change as well. In practice, other
kinds of resource references (images, scripts, stylesheets) are shared
based on pre-redirect URI in browser-hosted implementations, and it
would make sense to handle external document references the same way.

Regards,
Maciej