Re: 2nd Call: SVGt1.2: Text Box

Hi, Jonathan-

~:'' ありがとうございました。 wrote (on 3/19/08 5:27 AM):

>> >Except in environments or UAs where script does not work, the script
> methods (while admittedly harder to author),
> aywk: many people whether using assistive technology or not choose to
> turn scripting off.

Yes, this is one of many flaws regarding scripting, and one reason I
often prefer declarative methods.  A declarative solutions can be
optimized for efficiency, more secure by design (allowing only specific
kinds of functionality that are known to be secure), and is usually much
easier to author (as in your example, forms vs. XHR script); on the down
side, it can be less flexible, and that's where script can step in...
but your use case is reasonable, and a declarative solution would be good.

We did try to get something like this passed through, a technology
called Remote Events for XML (REX) [1], but it ran into some complications.

Unfortunately, this is the situation we're in now.

>> >you should rely on HTML
> as described below** this is not suitable
> **embedded is most likely to be unsuitable in most instances, as not
> only are there significant accessibility issues regarding embedding
> documents, but only part of the document will be redirected, this may be
> inconvenient for the user and author, and makes a mockery of
> bookmarking. you may for instance try navigating
> http://peepo.getmyip.com/~JonathanChetwynd/db/search080318.php?search=z
>
> There is limited support for documents with mixed namespaces, and there
> remain significant accessibility problems navigating documents using
> mixed namespaces. I am not aware of any accessibility guidelines for
> such documents.
> It seems unlikely these issues will be resolved in the short term.

You misunderstood.  I wasn't advocating, in this case, a compound
document.  I was recommending that you use plain HTML for now, if your
primary need is for a declarative forms solution.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rex/

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI