Re: 2nd Call: SVGt1.2: Text Box

Hi, Jonathan-

~:'' ありがとうございました。 wrote (on 3/18/08 3:33 PM):
> SVGt1.2: Text Box
>
> Would it be reasonable to expect SVG1.2t to provide a standard and easy
> to implement means for the user to enter text - to send content to the
> server** -?

No, sorry.  SVG 1.2 Tiny is feature-complete, and has been for a long
while now.  The only changes that can be made now are minor adjustments
based on implementor feedback.

> HTML has provided an accessible form with textbox for many years.
>
> Reliance on methods that use script produces results that are not known
> to be accessible.

Nor are they known to be inaccessible.  Except in environments or UAs
where script does not work, the script methods (while admittedly harder
to author), are no less accessible than declarative methods (like
forms).  They use the same HTTP commands (GET and POST), and interact
with the server the same way, except that with XHR (or get/postURL), the
browser does not navigate you to a new page; if you wish to navigate to
a new page, simply compose a URL string and create (or change) a link
(that is, the value of the xlink:href).  There are libraries out there
that encapsulate all of this for you.

Can you explain a manner in which these methods are inaccessible?

I myself would like to have a declarative solution, and it's possible
that some future specification (whether from the SVG WG or another one)
could define such a thing that would work with SVG to provide a
declarative method for this and other use cases.  It might derive from
XForms, but be a narrower, simpler model to implement.  But it's
unlikely that this will occur in the next year or two.

In the meantime, if you must have a declarative means for data
submission (for whatever reason), you should rely on HTML, and perhaps
on ARIA (since this looks like it will be implemented in all major
browsers).  I don't know if they have considered SVG elements as values
for inputs, but it's possible. [1]

Of course, there is also the simplest declarative form, as you mentioned
before: the link.  You could, for example have a set of shapes, say a
circle, triangle, and hexagon, and make each a link to a CGI handler
with the proper argument encoded in the URL, effectively making a POST
submission.  That does not satisfy your request for text submission to a
server, however.

> **
> Amaya does not support script

Amaya is not a browser, per se.  By its own claims, it is an "authoring
tool with browsing features." [2]

"II.14. Does Amaya support JavaScript and animated images?
Due to a lack of manpower, we have no plan to implement them. These
features are more important for a browser than for an editor." [3]

It does meet the requirements for a static SVG viewer, but not a dynamic
SVG viewer. [4]  Perhaps you could file a feature request to support
script, or XForms, or some other declarative solution with Amaya.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#input
[2] http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/FAQ.html#L125
[3] http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/FAQ.html#II12.
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/conform.html#ConformingSVGViewers