Re: Overriding the width and height of SVG

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:55:37 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

>If the author's intent is to have their SVG scale then they can and should
>specify a viewBox of course. However, people are sometimes going to get this
>wrong, and it would be nice to be able to control the behavior from the HTML
>side if the SVG is outwith your control (and perhaps comes from a different
>domain, which prevents you "fixing up" the SVG by setting a viewBox from
>script).

I think, with the current SVG1.1 it is never really out of control, for
example one can use: example.svg#svgView(viewBox(0,200,1000,1000))
to add a new viewBox to external content.
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/linking.html#LinksIntoSVG
But obviously it is always better for authors to provide a viewBox.