Re: Accessing Object Parameters from an Embedded SVG

Jeff Schiller wrote:
> I'm not well-versed on the history behind document.domain and how "the
> web depends on it being writable".  Can someone send me a pointer?
>
> I can understand not letting the embedded object get at the elements
> outside of the HTMLObjectElement, but this seems like a weird design
> flaw - the object parameters should be accessible to the embedded
> object, regardless of domain - that's their purpose.  It would have
> been great if HTMLObjectElement had an accessible "params" NodeList
> readonly attribute :(

That wouldn't really help. While you can get access to the <object>
element using window.frameElement, you don't have access to do anything
at all with it. Even if we added properties directly on
HTMLObjectElement you would not be granted access to them.

The proper fix here is IMHO to add something to the window object. So
that you don't have to reach out into documents that are from a
different domain.

I would not rely on document.domain tricks. IMO document.domain is a
hack and a much better solution to the problem it's trying to solve is
postMessage.

/ Jonas