Re: Masks and Images

From: Mark E. Shoulson <mark@kli.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:39:34 -0400
To: www-svg@w3.org

Quoth Ken Stacey:
> Hi Mark,
>
> > It Would Be Nice If there were a way to include SVG images in a
> > similar fashion to the scale-independence available to raster images.
>
> The referenced svg needs a viewBox attribute to define a (coordinate)
> width and height so that it can be scaled into the image viewport.
>
> Ken
Thanks, but that misses the whole point.  The lovely thing is that I can
count on my raster images coming in at the right size in the right place
no matter what their original size and without nagging the author of
them.  I may very well have no control over the referenced SVG, and
maybe nobody can easily modify it for that matter.  Sure we can make it
work if I modify the referenced SVG, but again, isn't the whole point
that they're supposed to be scalable and fit in where they are supposed
to *without* having to change them?  I don't have to change PNG images.

~mark