Re: SVGt 1.2: Path normalization question

Hello Kalle,

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 15:56:21 +0200, Kalle Raita <kraita@nvidia.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Section about data normalization,
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/svgudom.html#Attribute_Normalization,
> says, according to my reading, that if path data is normalized,
> it has to be normalized so that quadratic beziers are transformed
> to cubics (Rules T->C, Q->C). Some things like path animation
> explicitly require normalization to remove relative coordinates etc.

You may want to study the resolutions from the last F2F meeting, the minutes are publicly available here[1]. You'll find that it was resolved that path normalization will convert t->T->Q and q->Q.

> Conversion from quadratic to cubic form adds a coordinate pair, which
> means more memory consumption.

That's possible yes.

> Is is actually allowed to keep quadratics as is and just expand the
> smooth quadratics to normal ones in normalization? If not, why?

It's allowed. Normalization is only required when using the SVGPath interface IIRC.

Cheers
/Erik

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008AprJun/0062.html

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group