Re: Devices XML

From: Helder Magalh„es <helder.magalhaes@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:26:11 +0100
To: "David Woolley" <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

(Richard)
> An XML standard for describing interconnected devices
I don't know any, but there are more general XML mailing lists [1] for
asking where someone might provide with a better answer... ;-)

> Has a transform to SVG for rendering and printing
Rendering the XML can be accomplished by an XML style sheet and/or
transform [2]. I'm not sure if there are any already available,
though...
SVG Printing [3] is a dedicated specification underway. I'm now
familiar with existing implementations nor with details, but SVG
itself already has high quality (printing) output as a specific
objective [4]. Again, I don't know if/how implementations are dealing
with this (i.e., if any implementation takes the advantage of printing
using a much high resolution than the on-screen graphics).

(David)
> and I'm told that Visio does it from a WYSIWYG perspective.
Yes, Microsoft Office Visio seems to support this through templates:
"Network"/"Basic Network Diagram" or "Detailed Network Diagram".
Dia [5] (open source project) seems to support this as well: in the
tool bar, one may press the menu (down arrow) and select "Other
sheets"/"Network". Both tools support saving and/or exporting in SVG
format. :-)

Hope this helps,

 Helder Magalh„es

[1] http://www.w3.org/Mail/Lists.html