Re: dilemma of cache: two types of image

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:10:59 -0400
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>

Hi, Jonathan-

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote (on 7/25/08 10:32 AM):

> the naive user may seek and find a picture of the sun, they copy and
> paste it into a document, and send it to a friend.
> when it arrives it is a cloud...

It's an interesting use case, but frankly, too obscure to outweigh the
large number of more pressing issues.

I suggest that you try to solve this with another technology, like
widgets.  Many people are building and using weather widgets (or stock
tickers, or other time-sensitive content), so it's not clear that there
is an unsolved problem here.

As an aside, the content of an email message that changes over time is
rather unintuitive, and I would not expect a typical user (much less a
naive user) to easily apprehend that.  There may even be security or
trust issues involved.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, WebApps, SVG, and CDF