Re: SVG in HTML proposal

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:23:32 +0200
Cc: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
To: Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com>

On Jul 15, 2008, at 04:20 , Jeff Schiller wrote:
> This might be fixable eventually in editors currently under active
> development, but what about Adobe Illustrator, for example?  Manual
> author intervention + tutorials?

A trivial SAX filter can be used to prefix a set of SVG elements, it
wouldn't be hard to ship a small utility that did the job. Of course
this assumes also having an HTML5 parser around, but I guess that
won't be a problem eventually.

> 2) If my SVG has a foreignObject with HTML in it, and the browser
> does not handle SVG yet, then the contents of that foreignObject
> will be inadvertently rendered by the UA, which might not be
> desired.  Any recommendation for that?   html: prefix for all
> elements?

I actually think that that's the best way of doing fallback for UAs
that don't support SVG. As a variation of what's in the spec, just
wrap the content not only in a foreignObject but also in a switch
requiring a feature that doesn't exist (it could even be reserved as
such).

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/