Re: if xlink:title= is empty and a <title> is provided should that be in the tooltip?

Cameron,

I'm well aware that there isn't a clear statement in the specs.
in fact afaik ua have not in general yet implemented any method for
rendering title, though Opera has a basic model using tooltips...

perhaps you could consider my query?
Re: if xlink:title= is empty and a <title> is provided should that be
in  the tooltip?

as I wrote in a previous email, I'm looking for some consensus.
this is part of a larger issue regarding inheritance in that previous
email:
Consensus sought: Inheritance for title in tooltip 13/01/08

your example doesn't follow spec which suggests that the first
element within <svg> should be a title...
also title is being used as if alt in html, and this is bound to lead
to confusion.
alt and title caused enormous problems, still unresolved in html...

how do you feel my example is a misuse?

many thanks once again

Jonathan Chetwynd
Accessibility Consultant on Media Literacy and the Internet

On 15 Jan 2008, at 11:51, Cameron McCormack wrote:

Hi Jonathan.

Jonathan Chetwynd:

…
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
>
> <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
> xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
> width="100%" height="100%"

I think you’re misusing xlink:title="" here.  xlink:title="" gives the
title of the link it appears on.

   <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
     <a xlink:href="http://www.w3.org/"
        xlink:title="The World Wide Consortium home page">
       <title>W3C logo</title>
       <path d="..."/>
     </a>
   </svg>

Here, the xlink:title="" gives a title for http://www.w3.org/.
The <title> gives a title for the graphical content.

Also, the spec doesn’t require that a <title> element be shown as a
tooltip.  It says:

   When the current SVG document fragment is rendered as SVG on visual
   media, 'desc' and 'title' elements are not rendered as part of the
   graphics. User agents may, however, for example, display the 'title'
   element as a tooltip, as the pointing device moves over particular
   elements. Alternate presentations are possible, both visual and
aural,
   which display the 'desc' and 'title' elements but do not display
   'path' elements or other graphics elements.

Basically, the UA can do whatever it likes with it.

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
width="100%" height="100%"

<title>circle test for title in tooltip when part of anchor</title>

<a xlink:href='http://www.peepo.co.uk'>
<title>circle</title>
<circle cx="75" cy="75" r="75" />
</a>