Re: Antialiasing and adjacent shapes

From: Helder Magalh„es <helder.magalhaes@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:18:23 +0000
To: "Johannes RŲssel" <johannes.roessel@uni-rostock.de>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

> I see this phenomenon as an unwanted side-effect and setting shape-rendering
> to crispEdges only helps with shapes that only have horizontal or vertical
> edges.
>
> Or is there another method to suppress this I haven't found yet?

While not trying to provide any formal answer, I'd just like to
highlight a recent, tightly related, thread in the Batik mailing list
where this particular symptom is felt and a possible workaround
(specific to Batik) is suggested.

A relevant part of the specification seems to point towards a known
limitation: "rendering should be accurate to within one px unit to the
mathematically correct result" [2], so the gaps are probably being
caused by the anti-aliasing mechanism...

Hope this helps,

 Helder Magalh„es

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Gaps---Aliasing-in-SVG-rendering-td21101206.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/conform.html#ConformingSVGViewers