Re: Title as attribute or element?

Thanks, that does work. There are two catches, the first is that the
text displays under other elements, even when a z-index is used to
attempt to lift the text. The second is that all text everywhere that
uses the "tooltip" class displays in FireFox 3.0.3 whenever any g text
element on the page is hovered. Ultimately I need what a tooltip offers
to achieve the effect I want (hovering over a circle that denotes a
plant pops up the Latin name or other identification information).

I will wait for Mozilla to sort out whether to display <desc> or <title>
in the tooltip and code to that decision as this college uses FireFox
across all six campuses. I realize that this is putting standards and
renderers in the wrong order, but the reality is that my students use
FireFox so I will have to use what works in FireFox. Living on an island
one learns that driving on unpaved cow paths tears up the tires, drive
on the paved cow paths and both your tires and cars last longer.
Whatever path someone chooses by which I can control the tooltip, that
is the path I will take. I do make an effort to code to standards and
use tools such as validator.nu, this is an area however in which I am
still non-compliant. My apologies!

As a note to those trying to resolve this, having the ability to control
a tooltip from a shape element is a real plus for hand-coder like me.
For the eleven varieties of bananas (local names used) the difference is
between (hypothetical code example, no such attribute as "tooltip-text"!)

<g fill="green" stroke="black" stroke-width="1px">
 <desc>Bananas fall 2008</desc>
   <circle cx="6696" cy="-6020" r="2" tooltip-text="Kaimana" />
   <circle cx="6703" cy="-6020" r="2" tooltip-text="Kudud, uht rais" />
   <circle cx="6711" cy="-6020" r="2" tooltip=text="Karat pako" />
   <circle cx="6718" cy="-6020" r="2" tooltip-text="Preisihl (Brazil)" />
   <circle cx="6700" cy="-6030" r="2" tooltip-text="Akadahn weitahtah" />
   <circle cx="6708" cy="-6030" r="2" tooltip-text="Iemwahn" />
   <circle cx="6715" cy="-6030" r="2" tooltip-text="Karat pako." />
   <circle cx="6705" cy="-6040" r="2" tooltip-text="Karat en Kariki" />
   <circle cx="6712" cy="-6040" r="2" tooltip-text="Utin Pihsi, utin
Fiji. Kehlen, Suanrita." />
   <circle cx="6724" cy="-6050" r="2" tooltip-text="Peleu, Utin Koruhr.
Mathew, Paulino." />
   <circle cx="6732" cy="-6050" r="2" tooltip-text="Utin Iap. Mathew,
Paulino." />
 </g>

and....

<g fill="green" stroke="black" stroke-width="1px">
 <desc>Bananas fall 2008</desc>
   <g>
    <desc>Kaimana</desc>
    <circle cx="6696" cy="-6020" r="2"  />
   </g>
   <g>
    <desc>Kudud, uht rais</desc>
    <circle cx="6703" cy="-6020" r="2" />
   </g>
   <g>
    <desc>Karat pako</desc>
    <circle cx="6711" cy="-6020" r="2" />
   </g>
  <!-- etc....  -->
 </g>

By the way, the large coordinate values are due to synchronization with
ten-thousandths of a minute of latitude and longitude. The Kaimana is at
158 degrees 09.6696 minutes East longitude, 6 degrees 54.6020 minutes
North latitude. The negative sign in the y-coordinate offsets a
translate that flips the map (
http://www.comfsm.fm/~dleeling/ethnobotany/ethnogarden.xhtml ) so North
is up (SVG coordinates are screen coordinates and run the reverse
direction of latitude in the Northern hemisphere).

Dana

--

Dana Lee Ling
Professor

Historically diverse, uniquely Micronesian and globally connected, the
College of Micronesia-FSM is a continuously improving and student
centered institute of higher education. The college is committed to
assisting in the developing of the nation by providing academic, career
and technical educational opportunity for learners in the Federated
States of Micronesia.

Go Sharks!