Re: Whether to display inner or outermost <title>?

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 08:19:31 +0100
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>

Doug Schepers wrote:

> Indeed I did read it, and I think that your algorithm is simple and
> effective.  I plan to use it in some proposed wording on the topic.  I'm
> sorry I didn't respond before... but it's definitely on my list of todos.

First thought: is this really any different from inline containment.

> I also want to define the content model.
>
> Here's a question for the community: should @display="none" on a <title>
> stop the UA from displaying a tooltip?  As a developer, I've often
> wanted to block Opera's behavior here, because it interfered with my
> own, nicer, home-rolled solution.

You are equating <title/> with tooltips.  Even if one has custom
tooltips (which might be reasonable for graphic art, but possibly not
for technical drawings) one should not be suppressing aural
presentation, and I would argue that one doesn't really benefit the user
by suppressing a status line display of the title.

For Jonathon's application, I would argue that consistent presentation
of titles is important, although it is possible that Jonathon sees that
consistency being imposed by his web application, rather than the basic
browser.

--
David Woolley