Re: I can't seem to host svg files...

On 9/28/07, kizzume <kizzume@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, that's starting to make some more sense.  Somewhat.  If the filename
> has no meaning, then how does any file get recognized as anything?  No, I
> guess I'm more confused than ever now.

Consider this, if you are generating dynamic content, there is no
file.  How does the browser know what it is?

The content header.

Actually, in the case of files, mime types are used by the browser to
look at the file extention and report to the browser what is coming in
the content header.  In the case of dynamic content, the server
program that generates the content knows what the content is, it
should, it's generating it, so it sets the content header itself.  You
don't see the content header because it isn't part of the document, it
is the header that tells the client what kind of document is coming so
it can decide if it will even accept it in the first place, and if so,
what to do with it.  You want it to display an SVG image, so the
client has to know that one is coming.

The bottom line is that the server does look at the file extension for
static documents, then uses the mime type to determine what the
content is.

The svg mime type is image/svg+xml, this is what is set in the content
header, what is set in the mime types table is this:

image/svg+xml       svg svgz

What are svg and svgz?  File extensions.  The mime type that everyone
keeps telling you to get set is how the server translates the file
extension to a document type.  But if it isn't there it can't.  If you
create a new kind of content and create a new plugin for a client to
deal with it, you have to create a new mime type so the server can
translate the file extension to a document type and tell the client
what is coming.  If you want the world to start using your fabulous
new content, you register the mime type so that everyone else can use
it.

If it isn't there, the server uses the default, which is text.

This is all low level server to client negotiation stuff that you
shouldn't have to worry about unless you are generating dynamic
content.  In fact, you don't have to worry about it, or even read a
mime types for dummies book, just get the mime type set and the
problem will go away.