Re: Pointer Events in SVG

I raised an issue about these missing methods with the SVG working
group. We will discuss whether we can add these methods back into the
uDom. I personally agree that these methods are important. Some people
weren't present at the SVG telcon, so I don't know if there was any
reasoning on why these methods weren't included.

Andreas

Dave Raggett wrote:

> You can readily get the screen coordinates and transform them back
> into the SVG coordinate system, e.g.
>
> function locateEvent(event)
> {
>   var target = evt.target;
>   var m = target.getScreenCTM();
>   var pt = document.documentElement.createSVGPoint();
>   pt.x = evt.clientX;
>   pt.y = evt.clientY;
>   pt = pt.matrixTransform(m.inverse());
>   return pt;
> }
>
> But whilst getScreenCTM() and inverse() are available in SVGT 1.2, it
> seems that createSVGPoint() and matrixTransform() aren't, at least
> based upon searching through:
>
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/svgudom.html
>
> Am I missing something, or this is intentional?
>
> I agree that it would be nice to have an easier way to getting the
> event location in the SVG coordinate system.
>
>  Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett
>
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Daniel Herzog wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> just to quickly introduce myself, I work at Vodafone and contributed
>> to the
>> WICD Testsuite.
>>
>> I would like to know, is there a way to get the pointer-position in
>> reference to an SVGs coordinate-system? Please take a look at the
>> following
>> testfile (with Opera 9.23, Firefox2, Safari3):
>> http://dev.danielherzog.de/wicd/pointerPositionTesting.xhtml
>>
>> The blue rect is part of an SVG that has a viewBox of only 20 x 6,
>> but the
>> whole thing is in a container much bigger and is therefore scaled up.
>> When
>> hovering the SVG you see some properties of mouse-events below it,
>> but none
>> of them quite fit
>> the SVGs coordinate system. The maximum x-values for that would be 20
>> then.
>> I think it would be important to have an easy way for getting to
>> these values,
> just thinking of a simple mousefollow, or slider controls, for example.
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Daniel
>> <http://dev.danielherzog.de/wicd/pointerPositionTesting.xhtml>

Andreas Neumann
Institute of Cartography
ETH Zurich
Wolfgang-Paulistrasse 15
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: ++41-44-633 3031, Fax: ++41-44-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/