Pointer Events in SVG

From: Daniel Herzog <daniel.herzog@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:15:57 +0200
To: public-cdf@w3.org, www-svg@w3.org
Hi,

just to quickly introduce myself, I work at Vodafone and contributed to the
WICD Testsuite.

I would like to know, is there a way to get the pointer-position in
reference to an SVGs coordinate-system? Please take a look at the following
testfile (with Opera 9.23, Firefox2, Safari3):
http://dev.danielherzog.de/wicd/pointerPositionTesting.xhtml

The blue rect is part of an SVG that has a viewBox of only 20 x 6, but the
whole thing is in a container much bigger and is therefore scaled up. When
hovering the SVG you see some properties of mouse-events below it, but none
of them quite fit
the SVGs coordinate system. The maximum x-values for that would be 20 then.
I think it would be important to have an easy way for getting to these values,
just thinking of a simple mousefollow, or slider controls, for example.

Thanks a lot,
Daniel
<http://dev.danielherzog.de/wicd/pointerPositionTesting.xhtml>