Re: Conditional IDness considered unnecessarily complex

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:27:19 +0200
Cc: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>

On Oct 12, 2007, at 11:49, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> In the interest of practical, simple and high-performance
> processing, I suggest making the IDness of id unconditional. If
> this means that you can't duplicate the value in xml:id, the fix is
> not to duplicate the value in xml:id.

The original idea was that both attributes would be unconditionally
ID, and that it was recommended to duplicate the value. XML Core
objected to that on the grounds that it makes SVG impossible to
validate with DTDs. That, of course, is a bad reason given that it
already isn't. However given XML Core's clout with all things XML,
despite them being dead wrong on this, the SVG WG decided to go with
their suggestion.

Feel free to take this up with XML Core, maybe they've since changed
their view.

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/
"RDF: codifying vagueness in the strictest possible way"