Re: no-namespace href in SVG

Hi, Anne-

Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 10/12/2007 5:45 AM):

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:26:43 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
>> But you're ignoring the fact that FF is more strict about namespaces
>> than ASV!  It also requires an XLink namespace declaration, in
>> addition to the attribute prefix.  So, really, over 90% of the browser
>> market share is composed of UAs that require the 'xlink:' prefix
>> (directly or indirectly).  Maybe FF could change, but we're not
>> hearing from any decision-makers there about this issue, yet; they are
>> pretty strict with XML, so I'd be interested to hear their take.
>
> So you're suggesting we should consider breaking conformance with
> Namespaces in XML 1.0? I don't think that's a good idea.

I'm not suggesting any specific course of action.  I'm brainstorming for
a solution that will satisfy the desire for ease of authoring, the
agenda of WHATWG contingent of the HTML WG, the necessity of not
breaking old User Agents, and many other factors.

Your potshots are combative and irritating... could you please try
coming to the table with suggestions and potential solutions instead of
niggling criticisms?  I know you're very bright, and your help would be
appreciated.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Staff Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI