Re: no-namespace href in SVG

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:21:13 +0200
To: "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:15:52 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 10/11/2007 3:59 PM):
>>  On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:09:01 +0200, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
>> wrote:
>>> It would still be backwards-incompatible.  New content (that only used
>>> 'null:href') would not work in SVG1.1 UAs.  Right now, the most
>>> popular and functional plugin (ASV) for the most popular browser (IE)
>>> is no longer being updated, so the largest user base would not be able
>>> to use links in new SVG content.
>>  This goes for all new features that are used without considering
>> compatibility. You might as well freeze development of the format.
>
> Don't be silly.  You're not asking for a new feature, you're asking us
> to change (break) an existing feature that works interoperably in all
> UAs that support links (not including drawing apps, printers, and the
> like).

No, I'm not asking you to change or break anything. Just to support href=
in addition to xlink:href=. Let xlink:href= take precedence over href=
when both are specified to ensure compatibility in case of author errors
and encourage UAs to implement it.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>