no-namespace href in SVG (was Re: @role in SVG)

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 01:17:13 -0700
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Aaron M Leventhal <aleventh@us.ibm.com>, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>

Trimming Cc list...

On Oct 10, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:

>> If SVG got a built-in href='' also, it would put namespaces
>> completely out of sight except for the default incantation on the
>> root element.
>
> Well, that's worth considering, but again, out of scope for the
> topic of how to adopt @role in SVG.  It would require a considerable
> (and incompatible) rewrite of SVG, and I'm not at all convinced that
> that is really what is best for open standards in the face of market
> pressure. Can you supply justification for this, beyond purity of
> design?

I don't see how it would require major changes or incompatible
changes. Supporting both href and xlink:href would be compatible and
pretty minor change to the spec. I'm not sure if the increased ease of
authoring would be worth the transition cost, but I wouldn't dismiss
it out of hand.

Cheers,
Maciej