Re: ARIA and the user's rôle

Hi, Jonathan-

You often have really insightful observations, but you're way off base here.

1) We're not talking about integrating ARIA into SVG, we're talking
about integrating the 'role' attribute (which can be used in combination
with ARIA, among many other things);

2) You don't seem to understand the use cases of ARIA (and I've already
pointed you to resources to get you started);

3) The SVG WG *is not the group that is specifying ARIA*; if you have
questions, comments, or criticisms about ARIA, direct them to the WAI WG
[1].

Finally, a comment on your campaign for "user representation":  I think
the manner in which you are characterizing the integration of "user"
needs is vague at best and very disingenuous at worst.  You are
inconsistent about who you mean by "users"... end-users, casual
developers, people using an authoring tool, and people with various
disabilities are all very different audiences, and deserve individual
consideration.

Features requests by or for any of those groups will certainly be taken
seriously, as will feature requests by or for experienced developers.
In this case, inclusion of the 'role' attribute was a feature request by
the latter.  It's absurd to even put forth the idea that only features
requested by the least experienced should be included, which is
essentially what you're arguing.

[1] public-pfwg-comments@w3.org

Regards-
-Doug Schepers