Can i specify a rectangle within an image tag in a svg file

From: Mustafizur Rahaman <mustaf.here@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:58:50 +0530
To: www-svg@w3.org
Hi All,

I was wondering whether we can specify a rectangle inside an image tag in a
svg file.

The thought came to my mind because, we know that when we specify an image,
it creates a new viewport, so i was wondering whether it is possible/legal
to render any other basic shape within that image viewport.

May be you can take a look at the attached svg file.My question is "the way
i have specified *rectangle with is rect1 *, it is a valid svg file or not.

Thanks & Regs.

(image/svg+xml attachment: Image_complx_rect_Matrix.svg)