Re: SVG Performance?

From: Oliver Hunt <oliver@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 19:13:17 -0700
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
To: Kvark <pferna@hotmail.com>

The first suggestion would be to not use hundreds of rectangular
paths, use <rect> instead
WebKit certainly, and probably Firefox will be able to draw and store
rects much more efficiently
than paths.

A better idea would be to come up with a way to actually make a path
that represents large blocks
of colour, rather than trying to rasterise the image yourself -- if
you raster it yourself you immediately
take the "Scalable" out of SVG :D

Finally, if your server understands gzip compression of content you
may want to make it do that as it will
save a lot of the transfer bandwidth requirements

--Oliver