Re: 30th anniversary of Star Wars

>>What you can do is to use a SVG font and a script
>>(shell, perl, php, c, fortran ...) to transform any
>>glyph as you like in 3D and save it after a
>>projection to 2D SVG again as a new font.
>
>Yes, you can do that, but you'd have to do it for every frame in the
>animation. It won't work to do a character-by-character transformation
>once for each character, since the transformation depends on where the
>character occurs within the rectangle/trapezoid. Imagine a rectangle
>with an "A" in each of the four corners. During the process of
>converting that rectangle to a trapezoid, each "A" undergoes a
>transformation that is different from that of the other "A"s.

Well, on that level of accuracy it is better to use a number cruncher
to pick each glyph of the text from the SVG font, join the complete
text together to one path using only cubic bezier fragments, calculate
the 3D-transformation,  calculate a proper projection (including a
recalculation of all control points, because for a proper projection
lines are in general not projected to simple lines or points anymore)
and doing the animation as a path animation as the  final SVG output.
Of course, the information, that the path is a text is lost in such a
situation, but this is similar as to use a different font for any glyph.
The text information can be added again using a desc element for the
animated 'path monster'.

>Take a look at 'feDisplacementMap' paired with some gradient filled
>geometry
>I think it can make this effect.

'feDisplacementMap' sounds interesting too.
But we have to think about the calculation of the correct
displacement gradient related to the 3D-transformation combined
with a proper projection. Therefore I think we need a more
advanced gradient mesh as discussed currently in the mailing list.