Re: [Inkscape-devel] [Inkscape-user] Equivalent to Illustrator's Gradient Mesh?

On Fri, 25 May 2007 20:24:33 -0300, "bulia byak" <buliabyak@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, the proposed triangulated mesh in SVG won't buy us much at
> all, because we can just as well approximate a bezier-based AI-like
> mesh with small triangles or (better) beziergon paths right now (see
> http://inkscape.org/screenshots/gallery/inkscape-0.45-gradient-mesh-experimental.png),
> and it won't be _much_ worse or less efficient than if we used the
> triangulated mesh.

There's a decent chance of being able to exploit hardware acceleration for the triangulated mesh case; we don't get the same advantage from blurring a grid of shapes that had to go through the full SVG rendering pipeline.

> found use for such gradients. A few times I thought I might use them,
> but when I actually tried, they always turned out too awkard, too
> sharp near the corners, too linear.

Hmm, I was a bit worried about that being an issue -- that is a known shortcoming of Gouraud interpolation.  If we're wiling to sacrifice direct PS/PDF compatibility, we could possibly use a different interpolation function.

-mental